About the Center
The Mandel Center for Leadership in the North was founded by the Mandel Foundation-Israel in 2013 to promote educational and social leadership in the northern region; leadership based on vision and values, which works constantly and effectively to improve the quality of life of residents in the North of Israel.
The center operates local leadership programs that aim to improve the leadership capabilities of, and cooperation between, professionals in local authorities, education systems, third-sector organizations and other local institutions. According to our approach, leadership is the ability to observe and recognize the realities of one’s situation, while constantly engaging in the development and honing of a clear vision and world-view, in the translation of vision to practical plans and in the implementation of those plans.
The faculty members of the Mandel Center for Leadership in the North hold advanced academic degrees in philosophy, education, political science, sociology, urbanism and town planning, and the study of religions. They also have rich professional experience with local authorities, education systems and civil society organizations.
Our Training Approach
Our approach to leadership development is guided by the development of awareness - awareness of the meaning one wants to give to one's life; awareness of one's assumptions about the ideal human being and the ideal society and the values to which the individual is therefore committed; and awareness of how a person acts in a complex human environment.
In developing awareness in these areas, we believe that a person can develop not only his or her own professional identity, but also his or her ability to work with others and to mobilize his environment in support of change.
The main concepts guiding us in the field of leadership development are:
- Generating a constant and productive dynamic between values and actions, between practice and theory
- Combining the knowledge, experience, and cultures of the program participants with those of the Mandel faculty
- Building a flexible and evolving curriculum tailored to the needs of the place and the group
- Presenting alternatives and addressing each topic from different perspectives
- Engaging our participants in knowledge from various worlds of content and in the integration of different worlds of knowledge
- Using multiple and diverse methodologies
- Working with outstanding professionals
- Viewing the program as a long-term process of individual-professional and group development
- Maintaining optimism, dialogue, collaboration and tolerance
- Trying to ensure that every session is interesting, challenging and diverse and contributes to a sense of value
The programs have four main components:
- Clarifying values and shaping vision
- Learning about the place and understanding the context in which it operates
- Revitalizing and broadening methods of operation and developing plans of action
- Individual and group processes
The programs also provide participants with skills such as mapping, analysis of the location, definition of problems, creation of collaborative ventures and spearheading of change processes.